When designing a rustic farmhouse kitchen, there are plenty of things to consider, including functionality, efficiency and aesthetics. Open shelving is a must for your farmhouse style kitchen, displaying your favorite dishware and accessories. These open shelves make a design statement all on their own.
Be sure your kitchen has plenty of light with windows, preferably framing a view! Various materials can be considered for countertops, including quartz, marble and wood. Have a look below for some fabulous ideas with plenty of information and sources beneath each of the images.
Tell Us: Which one of these rustic farmhouse kitchen ideas is your favorite and why in the Comments below!
1. The custom cabinets are White Oak and the cabinet maker is RMS Design. Counter top is Fibercast Concrete in a NuCrete Format. Color is N604. Supplier is Sonoma Cast Stone. On the floors, French Oak (DMSO-14), Wire Brushed, UV Cured Oiled, 1/2 inch thick, 7.5 wide, random length to 75 inch — sourced from D & M Flooring. The windows are by Kolbe windows. Walls and ceiling are painted in Benjamin Moore, OC-17, White Dove. (via Total Concepts)
2. In this bright and airy kitchen, an eye-catching navy blue defines the refrigerator and pantry wall, providing contrast to the white perimeter cabinets and island. Light wood flooring, ceiling beams and open shelving adds rustic warmth to this space. (via Hutker Architects)
3. A rustic farmhouse kitchen features crisp white shaker cabinets, white tile backsplash, stainless steel appliances, farmhouse sink and open shelving to display dishes and accessories. (via Dwell Designed Construction)
4. A farmhouse kitchen in Nashville, Tennessee features white inset cabinets with shaker doors and beaded panels, a Subzero integrated refrigerator, French range, scalloped hood, alder wood island with distressed terminate library ladder and vintage navy pendants. (via Black Dove Interiors)
5. In this Southern California home, the kitchen features an expansive island for family gathering. The countertop is quartz, Cambria Brittanicca. See the rest of this inspiring home tour here: Seaside dream home boasting lovely touches in Corona Del Mar. (via Blackband Design)
6. The perimeter cabinets of this kitchen are a warm white called Cottonball, while the island is called Marguerite, a warm gray with green undertones — both custom colors by Pennville. Cabinet hardware are from the Schaub Classico Collection in a satin nickel terminate. Island dimensions: 104″x38″. Backsplash Tile: 2″x4″ from Ann Sacks – Savoy Collection. Grout Color: 254 Platinum – LATICRETE.
The island is honed Calacatta gold marble and the perimeter is Caesarstone quartz in Misty Carrara. Island light fixture: Glass Jug Pendant from Shades of Light, while the fixture over the sink is by Urban Electric. Counter Stools: World Market – Twist Swivel Stool. Flooring: Red Oak Hardwood, refinished with a couple of coats of polyurethane. (via Pennville Custom Cabinetry)
7. The kitchen countertops are Consentino Silestone, Style: Eternal Series, Color: Eternal Serena. Backsplash Tile: Pratt & Larson/Picket 111 Solo 3/White Mosaic 11 3/16″ x 2 ¾”. Cabinets: Huntwood/Shaker/Colonial Gray Satin Sheen. The range hood is black stainless, custom made by Honan’s Custom Metal in Seattle.
The engineered wood flooring is by Shaw Floors — Extreme Nature Inspirations (#213), Color: White Oak #01027 Timber. Wall Paint Color: Rodda/Master Painter Pearl/7015 Repose Gray PY17F2721. Island Fixture: Kichler 42580OZ Cobson 1 Light Pendant-Semi Flush in Olde Bronze. Windows are by Milgard — Ultra Series Fiberglass, in the color Black Bean. (via Coyote Design Architecture + Planning)
8. This lovely Southern California kitchen provides contrast with the white perimeter cabinets and the darker shade of island. The island color is Bear Creek 1470 | Benjamin Moore. The flooring is white oak. (via Courtney Thomas Design)
9. The kitchen island is walnut, while the perimeter countertops are Quartz. The name is: Lyskamm. Paint Color Selections: Walls: Accessible Beige | Island: Chelsea Gray | Cabinets: Simply White | Ceiling: Swiss Coffee, all Sherwin Williams. (via Juxtaposed Interiors)
10. This lovely rustic farmhouse kitchen in Gig Harbor, Washington features white cabinetry, soaring wood beam ceilings, woven bell pendants and large windows framing seaside views. The gold-colored hardware and plumbing fixtures repeats that of the La Cornue range from France, elevating the overall aesthetic. (via Marianne Simon Design)
11. The kitchen island stools are by Vanguard Furniture with a custom fabric. Cabinets are painted in Farrow & Ball Ammonite, while the hardware is the Artisan Suite by Cliffside Industries, in polished nickel terminate. The hood is custom. Its plaster like the walls (tinted with Edgecomb Gray HC-173 | Benjamin Moore) with a reclaimed beam across the front.
The white marble countertops are Danby and the gray are Pietra Cardosa. Farmhouse sink is custom made from Pietra Cardosa. The floors are reclaimed oak from ancient barns, as are the ceiling beams. See the rest of this stunning home tour here: Tour this ultra-dreamy farmhouse loaded with warmth in the Berkshires. (via Jess Cooney Interiors)
12. An unbelievably lovely farmhouse style, conservatory kitchen in an early 19th century Dutch farmstead located in Pennsylvania. The striking light fixture is from Lantern & Scroll. The green house structure is custom fabricated from London. Tour the rest of this must-see home here: Farmhouse-inspired residence with a fabulous greenhouse in Pennsylvania. (via JLF & Associates)
13. This stylish farmhouse kitchen in an Ohio home features a gray-washed island and floating wood shelves complimented by white flat-panel cabinetry. Countertops are white quartz, while the backsplash is a white subway tile. The wall color is Essential Gray and Polished Concrete, Sherwin Williams. (via J.Holderby – Renovations)
14. This lovely farmhouse kitchen in an Atlanta, Georgia home features plenty of storage and an expansive island for entertaining. The custom cabinet stain color is ‘smoke’. Above the island, the light fixture is the Gabby Edith 3-Light White and Rust Chandelier. The flooring is reclaimed wood. (via Grady L Woods Architect)
15. The perimeter countertops are seamless Corrian and the island and shelves were fabricated from pine. Floating shelves are 2.5″ thick and 12″ deep. Cabinets are from IKEA. Bar stools are from Overstock, but similar acrylic stools can be found at CB2. Above the island, the school house pendant lights are from Rejuvenation.
The pantry door is chalkboard paint, which can be purchased at any hardware store. The brackets holding the floating shelves were made using plumbing pipe parts found in any hardware store and spray painted black. Pipe brackets are screwed into the studs. The flooring is concrete. (via Design Shop Interiors)
16. Custom cabinets are painted in Farrow and Balls – French Gray, while the countertops are quartz. The backsplash is Savannah Grey brick. The window paint is Benjamin Moore wrought iron. The floors are oiled white quartersawn oak. See the rest of this fabulous home here: Country farmhouse with warm and inviting interiors in Pennsylvania. (via Lisa Furey Interiors)
17. This fantastic open concept kitchen in Ohio features soaring wood beam ceilings, an island with plenty of storage, marble countertops and wealthy wood flooring. (via Everingham Design)
18. A rustic farmhouse kitchen in Bozeman, Montana features Caesarstone Raw Concrete countertops, while the island is reclaimed oak with a clear sealer. The lower cabinets are white oak with a diluted white wash as the terminate, while the uppers are painted in Benjamin Moore’s Mysterious (AF – 565) with a frosted glass installed.
The backsplash is a white gloss subway tile roughly 2×9, called Kyoto by Artistic Tile. The vent hood was custom made by Bensley Sheet Metal in Bozeman, MT. The bar stools the Metropolis Low Back Counter Stool. Pendants are the Cecilie Manz Caravaggio Pendant Lamp 40cm. The flooring is modern oak finished with a gray white wash and Bona Naturale. (via North Fork Builders)
19. The kitchen island features stained white oak with a countertop of Danby Marble from Vermont. Most of the hardware was sourced through School House Electric & Supply Co. The light fixtures are Visual Comfort HIcks pendants. The Marvin Ultimate windows have 7/8″ SDL grilles. On the floors, white oak with a lye treatment. The rustic beams on the ceiling are antique hand-hewn beams, sourced through a local timber framer. (via Roundtree Construction)
20. The island paint color is Benjamin Moore Hunter Green. The countertops are poured concrete slabs, smoothed and shined. Pendant lights hanging above the island are the Fulton Large Pendant, by Circa Lighting. The kitchen dimensions are 37′ x 17′. The ceiling height is 11′. See the rest of this stunning home here: Eclectic modern farmhouse with unexpected pops of color in New York. (via Crisp Architects)
21. The countertop and backsplash are a natural Quartitze material called Perla Ventana. A custom hood is composed of wood with a custom metallic terminate and stainless riveted straps added. The metal straps were custom fabricated by Greystone Antiques. The upper cabinet to the right of the hood features an antique mirror front.
The rug is an antique Oushak. The window over the kitchen sink is from Western Window. The lights are the Boston Library sconce from Visual Comfort, bronze terminate. Walls are painted in Benjamin Moore China White. (via Davenport Designs)
22. A lovely modern barn house in Milwaukee features clear-coat birch cabinets painted in Sherwin Williams Creamy (SW 7012). The island top is reclaimed pine wood with a custom stain, while the perimeter countertop is Coffee Brown Granite with a suede terminate. Island is 4’7″ x 7’2″. Cabinet hardware is the Millennium Collection by Alno Hardware in Satin Nickel. Backsplash is the Kyoto Beige glossy brick by Artistic Tile.
Island stools are the Allen Stool with Back Rest from Ballard Designs. The pendant lights are the Eugene Large Pendant in bronze by Thomas O’Brien. The custom floor is made from reclaimed pine, which is repeated on the 9′ ceiling. The windows are Marvin Integrity with a Simulated Divided Light. Kitchen Dimensions: 12′ x 15.’ (via Bartelt. The Remodeling Resource)
23. The countertop material is quartz, Metropolis Dark by Arizona Tile. Suspended above the island, the Holborn Lanterns are from McGee & Co. The counter stools are the Williamsen Counter Stool from McGee & Co. See the rest of this astonishing home here: Step inside this Utah mountain modern farmhouse of our dreams. (via Studio McGee)
24. The cabinet paint color is Farrow & Ball Cornforth White 228. The island counter is called Pietra Cardosa, and the countertop on either side of the stove is called Misty White. The hood is made by Focal Metals in Bethel, Connecticut. The floors are white oak floor rift & quartered — terminate is Rubio MonoCoat 5%White. Pendant lights are Circa Lighting (Visual Comfort) – Item # TOB 5000AN. (via Cole Harris Associates)
25. A rustic farmhouse kitchen in Dallas, Texas features granite countertops, a wolf range, custom venetian plaster hood and a lovely brick backsplash. (via Hudson Construction Group)